- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Chop up the beetroot into small cubes and toss them with a generous amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the dressed beetroot onto a large flat sheet. Place in your preheated oven and cook for roughly 40 minutes or until the beetroot are softened. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the beetroot is cooking, prepare the caramelised onion by dicing the red onion into small pieces. Add them to a frying pan with olive oil and begin to cook stirring once in a while. Once all the juices have evaporated from the pan, add the cider vinegar and allow to cook into the onions.
- To cook the cous cous, cover the cous cous with boiling water from a kettle until you have water 2” of water above the cous cous. Boil for 15 mins until just tender. Allow to cool by stirring constantly to allow the air to cool it. Combine this with 2 tbsp of olive oil and lemon juice to stop the cous cous sticking.
- Peel and segment the Mandarins and place in a bowl. Add the beetroot, cous cous and onions and stir to mix. Fold in some chopped flat parsley and baby Watercress.
- Add seasoning to taste and serve.
- Serve with toasted Pitta bread. Cut the bread in half across and pull the 4 pieces apart. Place under the grill or place on a tray, sprinkle with olive oil and bake at 170°C for 20 minutes until crisp. Serve immediately with the salad.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 medium sized beetroots (Peeled and diced)
- 6 mandarin oranges
- 1 large red onion
- 150g of Israeli couscous
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley (roughly chopped)
- Micro Watercress 50g
- 2 Pitta Bread